13 August 2010

Day 1 - I Lost Laney

For Mother's Day (the American one) Sam arranged for Laney and I to go to Paris.  With the boys in school, Sam and AJ dropped us off at the local train station on a Friday morning. After way too many games of I-spy we arrived at Victoria station and from there we took the tube to the station where we boarded the Eurostar to Paris.  By this point I was really wishing we had backbacks rather than the suitcase and giant handbag, but we were going to Paris and one must look presentable.  But the stairs, so many stairs, and the lugging, so heavy, and the lack of hands, oh how I needed one more hand for Laney... Anyway, we arrived at the Gare de Lyon, but we needed to be at the Gare du Nord, so after battling the gypsies we found our platform and took the RER to the other station.  We smashed into the train along with all of the other Friday commuters and before we knew it we were there.  We stepped out of the station and that is when the magic happened.

On that day, May 28, 2010, I lost Laney to the world.  She is only 4, but she will be forever changed.  Sam calls her his "little French girl" and she is - she embodies everything that is quintessiantially French.  Her little eyes opened to a bigger world and she can't wait to go back. In fact, she asks a least twice a week to go again.  

So, without anymore blabbing (oh perhaps just a bit, but let's call it a narration) - our trip in photos:


croque monsieur


First stop, a Croque Monsieur at a nearby cafe. 


Jardin des Plantes


With some food in our bellies we walked across the river to the Jardin des Plantes.


On our way to Notre Dame

We shared a laugh with some local ladies on our way to Notre Dame - Laney was being a goof ball as per usual.


Notre Dame

We made it.


Watching dancers in front of Notre Dame Street Dancers

We walked around to the front of the church and found some street dancers performing.  The minute Laney saw them we were not budging.  By the time it was over the cathedrial was closed, but she didn't care.  She was just happy to have been able to put some money in the hat.

River Seine

Getting a bit tired, we walked back along the river until we got to a bus stop to catch a ride back to our hotel.  Rather than going out for dinner, we opted to put or feet up with a bauguette and some cheese.

Faux Pas

I think it was a wise choice considering my faux pas - stylish shoes-1 feet-0. 

4 comments:

Leeann said...

I loved reading this series about your time in Paris with Laney. What a lucky girl! ALthough, I will admit that my heart stopped a little when I read the title "I Lost Laney." Don't do that to me!

You guys are really making the most of your time there. I'm envious!

When do you plan to return stateside to live? Are you renting your home or did you sell it?

Home Sweet Seattle said...

I completely just spit my drink out laughing at the paparazzi photos with Laney! So funny!!! And then when I scrolled down and saw the photo with the guy... ahem....tossing his cookies in the background.. I realized that you are the best photographer ever. Priceless moments Heather!! Ok, so the rest of the photos are fabulous too of course~ and you and Laney definitely make lovely fashionistas!!!! What a great trip to share with your little lady. p.s. Have you seen the movie "It's Complicated?" Meryl Streep made Croque Monsieur and I have been craving it ever since!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet goodness!! I am so so happy for you both that you got to go do that! (my sympathies on the feet)

-anna

Anonymous said...

I really am so bad getting around to commenting. Guess I'll never learn.
I enjoy seeing you and your family pictures and your clever comments.
I look at them often and sometimes try to make a copy, forgetting that
doesn't work out too well with my sketchy knowledge of the computer
works. You do a great job Heather. Amazing, the date I just finished
reviewing is dated August 20,2010. Would love a print of the close-up
of you and Laney. I love your blog. It makes me feel in touch-Thank
You. Love, Nan

Post a Comment