06 July 2010

Faulty Logic

Notched

This is one of my favorite cakes - the Texas Sheet Cake.  Every time I make it I regret it because I end up eating way too much of it.  This time I tried to avoid the overeating and, as a result, well, I notched it.  Sam didn't get it, so I had to explain.  I wanted a piece of cake, but I didn't want the guilt of eating a whole piece.  Makes perfect sense doesn't it?  Somehow it just seems like less this way.  Ahem, well, I never said I was good at math.

Texas Sheet Cake
adapted from a Cooking Lite recipe

For Pan:
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour

For Cake:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Icing:
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°.

To prepare the cake, coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray, and dust with 2 teaspoons flour. Set prepared pan aside.

Mix dry ingredients together, stir well with a whisk. Combine water, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup cocoa in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; pour into flour mixture. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs; beat well. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375° for 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.

To prepare the icing, combine 6 tablespoons butter, milk, and 1/2 cup cocoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in powdered sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Spread over hot cake. Cool completely on wire rack and notch away.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the mixing bowl ready - Arthur James is two!Happy Birthday fm Gigi and if the other Great, Great, James (Jim) could, he'd join me.LV Gigi

Post a Comment