10 August 2010

A Letter to Maeve Binchy

Ireland 2010


Dear Mrs. Binchy,

Thank you for writing such lovely books, although there is quite a bit of infidelity woven throughout your books, I still love them.  Really, your novels were a big part of my desire to see Ireland and, let me tell you, the countryside did not disappoint.  The green rolling hills, stone walls and sheep were true to the imagery in your stories.  There were moments that I felt like I was in one of your books.  Like the time I was in a little craft shop just outside of the Connemara park and a man who had been teaching in the US for 20 years came in looking for a Paddy O'Conner and the shop keeper said his sister still lives up the road.  Or, like when traffic came to a complete standstill on a 100 Km road while a farmer herded his cattle across.  Or, the time we had lunch in Nenagh and the waitress looked at us with googly eyes every time we opened our mouths.  I loved those moments.

There are, however, a few things missing from your books (at least the ones I have read so far, I am going to read them all, really I am,  it's just not so easy to do with the 4, I hope you understand).  You forgot to mention how extraordinarily expensive everything is in the Republic and how so much of the countryside has been filled in with big houses that are 3/4 of the way done and will more than likely stay that way thanks to the bonk of the Celtic Tiger.  You talked of those quaint little winding lanes and they are lovely, until you actually have to drive down them. 8 days of those and I was begging for a freeway, especially driving around in a car with and an English registration plate - the Irish can really hold a grudge can't they?  Oh, and the weather was even worse than written.  My recent perspective has been formed by English weather, which is really saying something.

Back to the positives.  Our quintessential Irish cottage was just like the ones you described (save the spiders) and the abundant fuchsias were beautiful.  You said the music was wonderful and you were right.  The cheese delicious and the fish abundant.  And I really loved all of the colorful buildings with the beautiful doors - the bright blues, raincoat yellows, vibrant reds made the cloud covered skies and drizzly days a little bit brighter. 

Anyway, thanks for the lovely books and I'll keep reading - I'm in the middle of Whitethorn Woods now, but now with a new Ireland in my head.

Sincerely,

Heather

PS Gaelic - Greek, it's all the same to me.  Oh and here are some pictures (okay, a ton of pictures) from our trip.

Our cottage:
Cottage Living


Irish Cottage Cottage Fireplace Cottage Bedroom

Warning Cottage roof The road  to the cottage


Fuchsia 1


Hiking in the Silvermine Hills near the cottage:
Silvermines view 1 Silvermines 3


Mountaineers

Hanging Out


A few Irish Animals:
Connemara Sheep rooster
Connemara cow Why did the cow cross the road


Galway:
Galway

A park in Oughterard:
Walking in Oughterard

Alice and The Cat

Spencer in Oughterard


Bunratty Castle:
castleKing Arthur
Castle ceiling thing

Adare:
Adare Cottage
Moher:
Cliffs at Moher

Moher

Owen in Moher

Connemara:
Connmeara 3


Connemara 2


Climbing in Connemara


Mary

Connemara 3


Connemara

0 comments:

Post a Comment