19 April 2010

Really

I am out of excuses.  Truth be told we have now had Internet for 4 weeks, but when I say 4 weeks that sounds like a long time, in our world, it seems like just yesterday. 

So, I guess I was delusional to think that we would move to England and I would have time.  Seriously, I thought that I would be able to hop on a train to London and see a museum with AJ.  You probably have no idea how crazy that idea really is.  First, why would I think that I could take AJ on a train?  Like he would morph personalities on the trip over?  Like somehow we were going to skip 18 months to 2 years all together?  Second, I'm not sure who I was thinking would pick up the kids from school, clean the house, pay the bills and do the laundry, but apparently it wasn't me.  I did plan on going very Euro and grocery shopping at the local market everyday, but waiting 2 hours for that minuscule washing machine to complete a cycle was not on my agenda.  Really, what was I thinking?

Actually, I know what I was thinking, I was thinking that life here would be like a big vacation, with lots of museums, walks, trips and adventures.  If you can imagine, I wanted things to be more foreign. I thought about small cars, better yet, bicycles, a cozy little house, local bakeries and shopping the markets, but was that unrealistic.  Life is, for the most part, the same here as it was in Michigan.  So, for me these past 2 months have been a mental coming to terms if you will.  

So, other than my psychological idiosyncrasies, things are going well - really well. The children love school, Sam likes his new job and we are pretty much settled in the new house. We still have paintings to hang and furniture to buy, but I think the same can be said for the house in Michigan. So, keep that in mind, and here is our life looks like in the UK: 

The Kitchen

IMG_0491IMG_0492IMG_0490


Eating Area
IMG_0493


Play Room
IMG_0500

Powder Room (or Cloak Room as they call it) - Now I know you don't really care to see a bathroom, but I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that there are no toilet paper holders, mirrors or electrical outlets in any of the bathrooms. Keep in mind this is a new house - hunh?
IMG_0501

Living Room
IMG_0505IMG_0504
Dining Room
IMG_0502

Laney's Room/Guest Room
IMG_0508


Kids Bath 
IMG_0509

AJ's Room
IMG_0510


The Other Side of AJ's Room
IMG_0511

Our Room
IMG_0516

The Boy's Room
IMG_0518

The Other Side of The Boy's Room (the Lego tent - my latest attempt to control the clutter)
IMG_0519

Same furniture, same toys, same messes just a different house.  Although the stuff is pretty much the same, I hope that we walk away from these years changed people with our eyes just a bit more open to the differences and similarities too. 

6 comments:

Mrs Furious said...

Ah yes... this sounds like my idea that once Matt left for Michigan I'd start having daily afternoon tea and etiquette lessons (?!?)... kind of forgetting the whole doing everything by myself/no break/house showings aspect of his departure.

Your house looks great by the way.

Home Sweet Seattle said...

Heather, glad to hear that you are all doing well and I love seeing your home away from home! Life as usual now, huh? Well, we may end up living for part of the summer in Paris. I am totally picturing my European life with Betsy~ eating baguettes, wearing striped shirts & berets, riding bicycles and painting near the Seine. Ummmm, yeah.

Designer outdoor furniture said...

wow very good interior ...All the images are very nice ..
Kids furniture stores
.

Leeann said...

So dude, I am right with you. I was totally imagining the country cottage, crumpets and milky tea with your pinky finger sticking up etc. No? Really?

Oh well, it was a good fantasy, if only for a while. haha

Your house looks lovely. And you are right, not all that different than an American house. It has GREAT bedroom space though!

What is with the lack of mirrors and toilet paper rolls? I don't get it!

So what foods are you all eating now that maybe you weren't before? Take some photos of the kids and share them. How is AJ? What is he like?

I hope we hear from you soon. I love your blog posts!

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely canvass to paint - lovely spaces - BUT, bathroom w/no mirror, surely men shave, women comb?

MKHKKH said...

What a great house, minus the bathrooms! :) That has me stumped. How do they get ready? Any insider tips? What an adventure, right down to the wash room.

Post a Comment